Wednesday, August 14, 2013
Divorce for over 60's on rise...
More people over 60 are getting divorced, which is the opposite trend to the rest of the nation's age groups.
The Telegraph cites the following reasons:
1. People are living longer so don't want to stay forever in an unhappy relationship. (Not if you have another 30 years left anyway...).
2. Less stigma attached to divorce (surely that has been the case for 30 plus years?).
3. That old silver fox... men with a wandering eye syndrome. (I blame viagra).
I have a few ideas of my own:
1. There are more people married who are 60 plus as marriage becomes less popular so the 60 plus age group makes up a bigger slice of a diminishing cake.
2. Some of these are second or third divorces.
3. Companionship has been replaced by gadgets.
4. Relatives are now encouraging them to divorce as opposed to pressurising them to stay together.
5. Religion has lost it's standing in our society, for the white ethnic group of which a large majority of the 60 plus age group will be.
6. The state will support you again. There is a void when people's children leave home where they are forced to be more financially independent of state support unless they are in the benefit system per se.
7. Options... the world has opened up a lot more.
Fascinating. There are lots of reasons why people divorce at whatever age. However, divorce can only happen when one or both parties no longer place a value on the relationship.