Friday, January 04, 2008

How to cope without your mate


If the dreaded separation is looming and you have had it forced upon you by your unhappy partner it is important that you fill your time as much as possible. Staying home alone to reflect on your loss will make you feel worse. Go out with your friends, if you have lost touch - contact them, if you haven't got any - make some.

How?

1. Work colleagues - arrange a drink after work.
2. Take up a hobby - salsa, football, adult education.
3. Get to know your neighbours.
4. Get involved with the parents at your children's school.
5. Give something back to your community - join a protest group against some development project, local theatre group, local library.
6. Visit the next county.
7. Start running in the morning.
8. Buy a pet - it's amazing who you meet at the vet's!
9. Join Friends Reunited.
10. Contact lost relatives.
11. Go to a different supermarket - speak to one new person every day.
12. Be friendly - smile - listen to other people's concerns.
13. Go to the cinema, theatre , pantomime.


Liz Taylor invited 1000 of her closest friends to her 70th Birthday party. That is a completely over the top PR exercise but you can have as many friends as you want!!!!!!

No friends - your choice!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

AntonioFWW said...

I like those suggestions. I know when my mom divorced my dad it was like her life started all over again. She started modeling again, took me on trips all the time and got me involved in as many activities as I could handle. There is nothing like staying busy to keep your mind off of a traumatic experience.

All my best,
Antonio

AntonioFWW said...

I like those suggestions. I know when my mom divorced my dad it was like her life started all over again. She started modeling again, took me on trips all the time and got me involved in as many activities as I could handle. There is nothing like staying busy to keep your mind off of a traumatic experience.

All my best,
Antonio

Me said...

1000 friends? I don't think you could even do that in the virtual world. Thats just insane.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Antonio - your mum sounds wonderful!

Orhan it is reported that her best friend of all is Michael Jackson...... My favourite picture ever is Liza Minnelli's wedding shot with David, Liz and Michael...v funny!!

Anonymous said...

While 1000 friends does sound a bit over the top our friends are the people that help us get through anything, I think. Being newly single from an almost 5 year relationship, we weren't married but 5 years is still very long, it is the times I keep myself busy and go out with friends that I don't feel lost. My friends are amazing and they always know how to get my spirits up when I'm feeling like I lost the one I was supposed to be with forever. Those are some great suggestions, I find doing things out of the norm always help too, like ballroom dance, that was the most fun I've had in a long time!
Just my two cents.
Best
Ann Marie